Wednesday, December 8, 2010

My answer to the "You hate your self/people/men" critics

I love Latino men. Enrique Iglesias podemos bailar todo la noche! El es tan atractivo!

I love Asian men. Shin Koyamada had my heart from the first time I saw him in The Last Samurai.


I love White men. Orlando Bloom, Leonardo DiCaprio, Brad Pitt (you're a lucky woman Angelina), Eric Bana, John Cena, Randy Orton, Dave Batista, Channing Tatum, Wentworth Miller, Dominic Purcell, Leland Chapman and on and on and on! Jason Mamoa I'll list you here too (though you are White and Hawaiian).


I for whatever reason felt the desire to put it out plainly in writing.  Men of different cultures and races are sexy and appealing to me.  Everything from their physical attractiveness to the tone of their voice, different dialects and accents, men of other cultures and races are a treasure that many a BW would benefit from if only they were courageous enough to step outside to the box the "BC" has put them in.

You have nothing to prove to anyone.  Who can tell you you hate yourself because you don't prefer BM?  Who can tell you you have deep rooted issues because you like a rainbow of flavors, not just and always chocolate?  Who has the right to tell you you are wrong for being who you are, having your likes and dislikes, wanting White over Black, Blue over Brown, and Blonde over Black?  Why try to justify yourself to people that don't know you, people you don't know and will most likely never see or meet again?

What kind of back@sswards society are we living in that makes it ok for EVERYBODY else to do as they please yet BW MUST always stay in their place?  Who decides what that place is?

A lot of questions but heres the best answer I can come up with.  I have TOTAL control over ME.  I decide who I will be with, I decide what I can and cannot do, I decide what I like and dislike, and I decide what's ok for me.  I know my heritage, am damn proud of it.  I come from a healthy stock of Sierra Leon, Africa, Irish American, Cheyenne Native American peoples (I have more African blood than the rest which would classify me as African American).  My people are warriors, lovers, passionate and proud.  We've worked hard, sometimes played harder, but always remembered what it took to get where we are.  That's not to say things were always peachy.  Quite the contrary on occasion.  However this is the history from which I came.  This is the blood that flows through me.

Loving myself, knowing my heritage has nothing to do with the men I prefer.  Simply put, I like what I like.  I prefer White, Latino, and Asian men the same way I prefer Windows 7 over Windows Me (I'm a techie, sorry).

So get mad, throw a hissy fit, tell my I'm breaking your heart, cuss me out, shout me down, have a conniption.  Guess what?  At the end of the day, when your blue in the face and tired from trying to "put me in my place", I'll be in my space with my White/Latino/Asian man in arms enjoying every minute of it.  Why? Because no one can define your happiness for you.  I know what makes me happy and the naysayers can say all they want, it doesn't change a thing for me.

Bright Blessings

3 comments:

  1. BellaDonna: Thanks for visiting my blog and I've now read yours. As a baby blogger I want you to have fun, learn and provide that encouragement to other black women. Watch out for the trolls and obstructionists and you'll be fine. It's great to see more women like yourself entering these online forums and using social media to empower and enlighten. At the very least you have a place for your individual voice. If you need any help or have questions just ask.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll let you have everyone on this list but Randy Orton. He's mine, ladybug :)

    People always try to explain why we (ladies open to IRR) like who we like. How does the saying go, "The simplest answer is usually the correct one"? The simplest answer would be that you like WM, AM, and HM because you find them attractive and desirable. Maybe it really isn't as deep as people want to make it. Maybe it's just what YOU LIKE.

    The naysayers are plentiful, but you just gotta swerve around them like potholes. Keep doing you and finding love with whomever you like (so long as it isn't Randy Orton LOL!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Faith: Thank you. I hope to be able to not only express my thoughts but give others something to think about as well. I find that I learn a lot from listening to other's pov and take everything objectively. You are an inspiration for me to "be the change I want to see in the world" :0)

    @Miss Glamtastic: Awww maaan. lol *big sigh* Ok you can have Randy. You are right though, the simplest answer is the right one in this case. Funny how it's so hard for some people to believe that but that's ok. Like I state above while they are having their hissy fit I'll be living it up with my beau :0)

    ReplyDelete

Please remember that just like a theory is not a law, an opinion is not fact. It is simply our view of how we see a certain situation. If you choose to comment please do so respectfully.